X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning in high tier PvP by knowing your Curio roles

Putting your Curios in the right place to succeed is a key part of winning consistently in PvP and CvC. As the CPU's moves won't be optimized against your Curio positioning, proper switching and move sequencing can be the key to beating a team with higher powered Curios than your own.

In my opinion, there are three distinct roles that most Curios can be adjusted for (not so coincidentally, these are pretty close to what you'll see in competitive Pokemon albeit much simpler due to CQ's simpler mechanics):

Lead: the purpose of the lead Curio is to deal as much damage as possible to the opposing team, often with disregard for the direct opponent. The best skills for leads are multiple moves that can deal damage to multiple inactive Curios. Common examples of leads include Fritter, Hydragon, and to a lesser extent, Gentacles, Torbolt, and Silveris.

The best case scenario for a lead is wiping out two inactive Curios and weakening the active opponent before being defeated. The worst case scenario involves being defeated quickly or whiffing on multiple attacks, creating a 2 on 3 situation for the remaining Curios.

Sweeper: the purpose of a sweeper is to deal as much single damage target as possible. Sweepers should be built for damage efficiency and should be able to take down an opposing Curio 1 on 1, or take out a weakened opposing Curio and put a dent in the one that follows it. These Curios, especially glass cannon types, should not be put in a position where they will lose a 1 on 1 battle as doing so could make overall damage output for the rest of the battle much less efficient.

The best case scenario for a sweeper is plowing through a team weakened by the lead, KOing Curios in one or two hits and taking very little damage in return. The worst case scenario is losing a 1 on 1 battle, leaving the team with a lower damage utility Curio to fend for itself in a 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 situation. Common examples of sweepers include offensively-built Penzai/Erebus, Muaytail, Cap'n Skelly, and Roclost.

Utility: utility Curios are meant to play different roles based on team composition, but are usually used either to shore up the weakness of the team or to set up the sweeper with a more favorable situation. For example, a utility Curio might have less overall damage output than a sweeper, but might have access to dual typing on attacks - allowing it to easily clean up in place of the sweeper against certain teams. Or, for example, if you're using Fritter and a fire-based Erebus, you might want to have access to a healing-based Thundiger as your third Curio to take out Hydragon and Gentacles almost for free.

Depending on the strength of your lead, you might want a bulkier wall that can put your sweeper in an even more favorable situation (by dealing more damage than it will take, perhaps turning a 2 on 3 into a 1 on 1) such as Gentacles or a healing-based Penzai. It might even be a specific metagame choice - for example, if everyone you face is using Blue, a Curio that can dish out a lot of fire damage such as Magmo might be a strong choice. I understand this is sort of a "catch-all" role, but I really want to emphasize that what this Curio does should complement your other two Curios.

Creating a team with defined roles in mind leads to a much stronger and cohesive battling experience than just throwing your three Curios with the highest damage output out there and calling it a day.

So does the order in which you have your moves play a part in which way they are used or does the AI just randomly pick

Comment

I think that using the right type of Curio is as important as knowing their role. If you want to climb in PvP, juste forget about Blue, because he is really weak.

You should be focusing of Fire, Water and Electric elements, because Fire counter Blue, Water counter Fire and Electric counter Water (especially Hydragon).

Comment

Originally posted by Insurgi View Post
        So does the order in which you have your moves play a part in which way they are used or does the AI just randomly pick
        I have heard that the AI uses the moves from your last fight, but I have no idea how to verify that or what happens if you only used say 3 moves and the fight goes long.

Comment

I'm not going to say that your approach is "wrong" or even "bad", but I will say that it is not the approach that I am using. And while I am not top 10, I'm right on the edge of it.

My team essentially consists of 2 Curios right now. Yes, I have a 3rd for cleanup, but if I get to my 3rd Curio, I'm in trouble.

My two workhorses are Hydragon and Thundiger. Hydragon fits the role you outline for him... most of the time. I will start with Hydragon against most opponents. I will start with Thundiger instead if the opponent's team includes Fritter AND the AI has selected Fritter to come out first. In those cases, Hydragon might be "strong" against fire, but by the time the two of them are done with each other, Fritter has obliterated my backups. Bringing out Thundiger against Fritter instead has lead to MUCH better outcomes.

I think some people underestimate Thundiger. His "Immortal" healing skill is incredibly strong. So strong that I don't even equip any other skill which could use up his mana. Unless he is at full health, I use Immortal every time it is available (every 4th turn) until I run out of mana. Most fights are decided before I run out of mana.

The only times I even get to my 3rd Curio are because I foolishly took on one of less than a dozen players (currently) whose teams are too strong, or because I had incredibly bad luck with the RNG handing me miss after miss.

One of the keys to making this work though, which you don't mention, is not only knowing your opponents and who has a team full of 3 and 4 star Curios, but also in not being afraid to simply "repick". It costs you one PvP ticket. But spending 1 PvP ticket to switch opponents is far better than a loss. with a full strength Hydragon and Thundiger, it almost doesn't even matter what my 3rd Curio is currently. Now, this is likely to change over time as more players spend money to buy the Legendary Curios. But currently, free players can compete at high levels with just 2 Curios. Hydragon is easy enough to get by just getting one person to use your referral code. Thundiger is a bit harder, but if you focus on farming for him, he can be gotten eventually as well.

EDIT: As an example of how good Thundiger is, here is how my most recent fight went...
          Start fight and I have initiative. Send out Hydragon.
          AI sends out level 40 Fritter.
          Surrender the initiative by switching to Thundiger.
          Thundiger kills Fritter while still having half health. Neither of my backups are dead, though both are badly hurt by Fritter. (Hydragon survives by being strong against fire while Gryphos survives by being Epic with a ton of health.)
          AI sends out level 40 Blue.
          Thundiger slaughters Blue while maintaining most of his health. (God but I LOVE Immortal!!!)
          AI sends out level 40 Hydragon.
          Thundiger laughs and Hydragon dies. Hydragon doesn't even manage to finish off either of the backups.

So essentially, Thundiger went second against an Epic and 2 Rare Curios at max level and took them all out by himself.

Thundiger is a beast for a free player. He has trouble against Legendaries, but then again, what Curio doesn't?
          Last edited by Ahlyis; December 17th, 2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Ahlyis. with a mixture of both the OP and your Detailed response I now have a better understanding of the pVp set up I need to Work towards to be at a level I will be happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahlyis View Post
              I'm not going to say that your approach is "wrong" or even "bad", but I will say that it is not the approach that I am using. And while I am not top 10, I'm right on the edge of it.

My team essentially consists of 2 Curios right now. Yes, I have a 3rd for cleanup, but if I get to my 3rd Curio, I'm in trouble.

My two workhorses are Hydragon and Thundiger. Hydragon fits the role you outline for him... most of the time. I will start with Hydragon against most opponents. I will start with Thundiger instead if the opponent's team includes Fritter AND the AI has selected Fritter to come out first. In those cases, Hydragon might be "strong" against fire, but by the time the two of them are done with each other, Fritter has obliterated my backups. Bringing out Thundiger against Fritter instead has lead to MUCH better outcomes.

I think some people underestimate Thundiger. His "Immortal" healing skill is incredibly strong. So strong that I don't even equip any other skill which could use up his mana. Unless he is at full health, I use Immortal every time it is available (every 4th turn) until I run out of mana. Most fights are decided before I run out of mana.

The only times I even get to my 3rd Curio are because I foolishly took on one of less than a dozen players (currently) whose teams are too strong, or because I had incredibly bad luck with the RNG handing me miss after miss.

One of the keys to making this work though, which you don't mention, is not only knowing your opponents and who has a team full of 3 and 4 star Curios, but also in not being afraid to simply "repick". It costs you one PvP ticket. But spending 1 PvP ticket to switch opponents is far better than a loss. with a full strength Hydragon and Thundiger, it almost doesn't even matter what my 3rd Curio is currently. Now, this is likely to change over time as more players spend money to buy the Legendary Curios. But currently, free players can compete at high levels with just 2 Curios. Hydragon is easy enough to get by just getting one person to use your referral code. Thundiger is a bit harder, but if you focus on farming for him, he can be gotten eventually as well.

EDIT: As an example of how good Thundiger is, here is how my most recent fight went...
              Start fight and I have initiative. Send out Hydragon.
              AI sends out level 40 Fritter.
              Surrender the initiative by switching to Thundiger.
              Thundiger kills Fritter while still having half health. Neither of my backups are dead, though both are badly hurt by Fritter. (Hydragon survives by being strong against fire while Gryphos survives by being Epic with a ton of health.)
              AI sends out level 40 Blue.
              Thundiger slaughters Blue while maintaining most of his health. (God but I LOVE Immortal!!!)
              AI sends out level 40 Hydragon.
              Thundiger laughs and Hydragon dies. Hydragon doesn't even manage to finish off either of the backups.

So essentially, Thundiger went second against an Epic and 2 Rare Curios at max level and took them all out by himself.

Thundiger is a beast for a free player. He has trouble against Legendaries, but then again, what Curio doesn't?

My approach is by no means the end-all, be-all; it's just what I've had the most success with. Although I should point out, the lead and sweeper are essentially the two Curios you bring up, with the utility as the catch-all and backup.

I didn't get to mention in-battle strategy yet which is also vitally important into putting your Curios in the right position to succeed.

Hydragon lead is pretty typical but does lead to some pretty sticky situations vs a stronger lead in Fritter.

I used to use Thundiger to go with Fritter and Erebus and favored the Scratch/Bright/HandEye/Immortal moveset. It lets Thundiger easily go 1.5/2 for 1, especially with a Greater Heal Boost. Thundiger is definitely one of the best 3 stars (although Erebus does tend to hard counter it if using the right moveset).

Comment

Ahlyis, I'll point out that the opponent's curios in your example, hydragon and blue, both 2 stars and one is particularly weak against Thundiger. When it comes to Fritter and how dangerous it is to the backup curios, everything is dangerously slow in killing it. What you're doing with that kind of approach is salvaging the Thundiger, as it otherwise might get killed by Fritter. Also, it is not given that the backup curios survive in the process, since Fritter is just that nasty. But yes, it is the right move to use Thundiger if his backup curios are those two.

I would also consider choosing Symmetry as part of your skillset as Thundiger if you insist on going against opening Fritters with it and trying to win the battle. Opening with Symmetry uses up only one Immortal for a rank A Thundiger, and it may also stun the Fritter for one turn in addition of doing big damage. This would be helpful in saving your backup curios, as the Fritter would die faster and hopefully, have less turns. I know people recommend using all mana on immortal, but that tactic only needs three skills to run: Immortal, Bright and Hand or Eye. Sure, you could have Scratch for those attacks to do after mana runs out and you've done your Bright-HoE-Bright, which is a pretty niche use, since it assumes that the Thundiger still lives at that point. There are times when it does, but it already had a long life with plenty of attacks done at that point.

Comment

My set-up uses this strategy. I lead with Fritter and do as much damage to the inactive curios as I can with Flameside and Crossfire. I keep Fritter in until he's dead, then depending on whether or not there are inactive curios left I switch to either Thundiger with a Scratch, Immortal, Hand or Eye, and Symmetry set up or a Silveris with a Star light, Spectrum, Illumination, Solar burst set up. Silveris goes in if there are inactive curios so I can finish them off before they come out. If there isn't, then I send in Thundiger to finish off the remaining curio with Symetry and Hand or Eye. This has worked wonders for me.

Comment

Well, if you have Fritter, Thundiger and Silveris in one team, you could rather randomly smash your device, you would win 99% of the time anyway...

Comment

Lol OMG they are hard to destory. Hahaha people should build better teams. Figure your weakness and try to fix it.

Comment

That's not strategy that's overkill lol .....you could press any move you like and you'd still win, no offense.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyKiwi View Post
                          Well, if you have Fritter, Thundiger and Silveris in one team, you could rather randomly smash your device, you would win 99% of the time anyway...
                          I think that you should never randomly smash with a Fritter team. Fritter is the lead curio and has the task of killing backup curios. Therefore it should always come to play first or second, never last. Silveris is vuln earth and Thundiger vuln dark. You don't want to pit them against wrong curios. That is a very good team if you think what you're doing, so why ruin things by smashing randomly.

Comment

i was saying this because these 3 are basically the best Curio in their respective cast. Fritter and Thundiger are the best 3 stars, and Silveris is the best 4 stars in the game. You can't lose with a team like this if you know the basics of Curio Quest. It doesn't need advanced strat like TL_Rengaris was pointing out.

1) Not a water type ? Gogo Fritter, destroy back line. Water Type or another Fritter ? Let's send Silveris and destroy them.
                            2) Win.

It wasn't to be taken 100% seriously btw.

Comment

Working...
                            X